Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 08 1997 - 15:32:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 08 Jan 97 18:32 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

Hi Jan,

> > My N. * wrigliana cv. 'Forgotthenamecauseit'sdarnlate' does tend
> > to have more red in the pitchers than other clones of the same
> > hybrid, but even looking at the pitchers of it the other day, there
> > were quite a number of differences from one leaf to the next.
> > >From time to time, the only distingiushing feature is the name
> > on the label. The deeper color and perhaps wider peristome do
> > show up, but only after a 1/2 year or so in good condtions.
>
> A difference in the sense of the ICNCP should be more obvious than
> that (ideally recognizable even in seedlings).

So then, how did Bruce Bednar name N. * wrigliana cv. 'Kosobe'?
Can (should) cultivars even be used for this polymorphic genus?

> The parent plants are not designated cultivars. So why bother with
> naming their offspring separately if they do not warrant cultivar
> selection?
> A plant cannot be regarded unique just because of its parents.

This is the problem I'm having with naming them as cultivars.
So should Meryl's friend (Or I, in the future) name his plants as
cultivars or not?

I have seedlings of N.ventricosa * N.burkei (sp?). Since many
people consider them the *same* species, what do I have? BTW,
I have seen no *consistant* difference with regards to the
angles of the lids between the few clones of N.ventricosa and
the single N.burkei I have. Instead, the pitchers of the
N.burkei tend to be slightly larger and are a uniform yellow-
green color. The peristome is bright red and there are red
streaks on the lid. The pitchers on N.ventricosa are two toned
(like Fred Flintstone's face), there is a distinct line where
the color changes. I can see this same line in the N.burkei
(and most Nepenthes), but there's no change in color. Are these
really a pair of subspecies to each other?

Dave Evans