Hello

From: sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org
Date: Thu Jan 09 1997 - 03:31:55 PST

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 11:31:55 +0000
From: sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Hello

Hello,
My name is Susan Farrington and I am a new subscriber. I am a new
horticulturist at the Missouri Botanical Garden, in charge of the
Temperate House, a conservatory that exhibits plants from temperate
regions around the world, including a collection of Mediterranean
plants. It also includes a carniverous bog, featuring quite a few
species of Drosera, Sarracenia and Pinguicula, as well as Venus fly
traps for the kids to play with (we rotate them frequently, trying to
keep them from getting over played with!) As you can imagine, it's a
popular exhibit!

I have experience growing some cp's at home (all of the above
genuses), though I still have plenty to learn! Currently, my priority
is to identify the plants we have in our collection: a helpful
volunteer or intern (before my time) removed many of our tags! Aargh!

I am thinking of introducing some Darlingtonia californica to our
collection at work. I know they will hate our summers (very hot and humid),
but I'm hoping to keep them potted so that I can rotate them to
the greenhouse during the summer, where cooling systems can keep them
at least at a moderate temperature. In the fall, winter and spring I
would display them in the Temperate House: nights 40 to 42 farenheit,
daytimes 50 to 60 farenheit. Would this work? Where could I get some
Darlingtonia to try?

Thanks for any help... I've enjoyed reading this discussion group
very much so far.
Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden