Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

From: Christoph A. Belanger (105601.512@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jan 09 1997 - 18:11:26 PST

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 21:11:26 -0500
From: "Christoph A. Belanger" <105601.512@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: _Nepenthes_ naming

Dave you wrote:

<<I have seedlings of N.ventricosa * N.burkei (sp?). Since many
people consider them the *same* species, what do I have? BTW,
I have seen no *consistant* difference with regards to the
angles of the lids between the few clones of N.ventricosa and
the single N.burkei I have. Instead, the pitchers of the
N.burkei tend to be slightly larger and are a uniform yellow-
green color. The peristome is bright red and there are red
streaks on the lid. The pitchers on N.ventricosa are two toned
(like Fred Flintstone's face), there is a distinct line where
the color changes. I can see this same line in the N.burkei
(and most Nepenthes), but there's no change in color. Are these
really a pair of subspecies to each other?>>

Dave, I always thought the opposite. But then I was told that the two
toned plant is just a juvenile form of N. ventricosa. This is evident on
my own male vent. Tow pitchers ago it was two towned, now it is porcelain
green, with a bright red peristome.

Just my 2c

Christoph