RE: Rumex gigantea

From: Philip Thomas (thomasp@maui.com)
Date: Mon Jan 13 1997 - 08:35:11 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 06:35:11 -1000 (HST)
From: Philip Thomas <thomasp@maui.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Rumex gigantea

Nursery of choice:

Ho'olawa Farms
P.O. Box P.O. Box 731
Ha'ku, Maui, Hawaii 96708 USA
voice phone (808) 572-4835
Anna Palomino, Proprietor

Please tell them that Philip Thomas referred you to them.

Also, you might ask for the "Directory of Sources for Native Hawaiian
Plants" from:

Center for Plant Conservation
P.O. Box 19000
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817 USA

I can't vouch for the sources in this book directly, however.
Also tell them that I referred you.

Aloha,
-Philip Thomas

On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Nigel Hurneyman wrote:

> Hello Philip,
>
> I believe you published the name of a supplier of Hawaiian native plant
> material, but I'm afraid I can't find it - could you e-mail it to me please.
>
> I was reading about some Rumex specimens in the UK that were
> initially identified as Rumex Giganteus. The author of the definitive
> monograph on British Docks and Knotweeds explains that this is
> impossible because Rumex Giganteus is a 12ft tall, tender species
> from Hawaii. I am hoping to start a National Collection of docks;
> Rumex Giganteus would not be an important addition because it is
> not native to the UK and not of horticultural significance here.
> Nevertheless it sounds as though it would be a fun plant to try in my
> conservatory, so I would be interested in trying some seed from a
> reputable source.
>
> Thanks, Nigel Hurneyman

        Philip A. Thomas - thomasp@maui.com OR halesci@hawaii.edu
            P.O. Box 1272 - Puunene, Maui, Hawaii 96784 USA
          voice: (808) 572-9306 ext. 3233 fax: (808) 572-1304
            http://www.maui.com/~thomasp/PhilipAnthonyThomas

## Opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent ##
## the views of USGS/BRD, RCUH, CPSU, UH, or anyone besides just me! ##