cold and darlingtonia

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 11:08:54 PST

Date: 14 Jan 1997 19:08:54 -0000
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cold and darlingtonia

I was wondering what experience growers out their have with
the effects of ice on Darlingtonia. I left my plant out
last night (we are experiencing freezing weather here in
the S.F. Bay Area). This morning I went outside and found the
half inch thick layer of "live" sphagnum moss growing
ontop of the 8 inch pot frozen hard as a rock. The water
the pot was standing in was also frozen solid. The cobra
lily is potted in a plastic pot in 1:1:1 peat/perlite/orchid bark
mix. If the media froze, have I lost the plant?
wishing I'ld brought the cobra lily indoors last night,
--Zachary--