measuring restivity of water

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 1997 - 11:30:21 PST

Date: 14 Jan 1997 19:30:21 -0000
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: measuring restivity of water

Several months ago I purchased a R.O. unit. Wanting to keep
track of the membrane's health, I placed stainless steel
wire sperated at a fixed distance into some R.O. water produced
by the unit. I then attached my digital multimeter's leads
to the two pieces of stainless steel wire. To my surprise,
I did not get a steady resistance measurement diplayed on the
digital multimeter. Instead, the value kept climbing. My
question is why, and how do I get a resistivity measurement
of my R.O. units output water. I'm not concerned with the
meaningfullness of the measurement. I'm just looking for
a way to accurately track the output water's relative quality
from batch to batch over time.
--Zachary--