Re: _Nepenthes distillatoria_

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 08:11:14 PST

Date:          Thu, 16 Jan 1997 08:11:14
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: _Nepenthes distillatoria_

Dear Tom,

> Just a quick question. I acquired an N. distillatoria cutting recently which
> is beginning to produce pitchers. The grower who provided it mentioned that
> this species was not known to have pitchered in collections. Was his comment
> hyperbole

Yes. There is a picture and description of the pitcher of this
species from cultivation (at Glasnevin, Veitch nurseries, Williams,
Holloway) by W.G.Smith in Gard.Chron.2.ser.17:398-399 (1882) under
the name "N. hirsuta var. glabrescens", which is a synonym of _N.
distillatoria_.

> or should I take a picture?

Perhaps that would not do any harm. We do not have an illustration
for this species on the WEB page yet.

Kind regards
Jan