Re: PH Meters

From: Sean Barry (sjbarry@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 17 1997 - 08:00:32 PST

Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 08:00:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Sean Barry <sjbarry@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: PH Meters

> On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 05:04:44 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >IMHO if you are
> >serious about measuring Ph you need a real lab grade pH meter.

Corning and a few other companies sell "pocket" pH meters through Fisher
Scientific and other scientific suppliers, and these range from about $40
to $100. The lower priced meters are accurate only to 0.2 unit, and the
higher end to 0.1, which is probably not critical for those of us who just
want to measure pH rather than adjust it. I have used one of these meters
for several years to measure aquarium water pH, and have verified their
accuracy by measuring the same samples on the $1000 meter in my lab. No
complaints.

Also available are conductivity meters, in the same or slightly lower
price range, which will tell you how much if any dissolved salts are in
your water. The one I use is a Hanna Instruments DIST 1ATC dissolved
solids tester (same sources), which measures from 10 to 1990 ppm, with a
resolution of 10 ppm. I believe that lower-range meters are also
available.

Sean Barry