heat, was Re: cold

From: thanley (thanley@why.net)
Date: Sat Jan 18 1997 - 07:19:43 PST

Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 15:19:43 +0000
From: thanley@why.net (thanley)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: heat, was Re: cold

Frank Udovicic - Darlingtonia
>Mine are in full sun and doing great.
> What are my chances!!!!
> Good, if you are vigilant about watering them every day when it is >
> hot.
> Good luck,

Frank, Hello
I am not an expert, but let me tell you what I have done and plan to do:
First I live in Dallas, Texas. Summers can get to 100+ for many days. I
have a "colony" of cobra lily living in my out door bog wirh no special
gimicks except...
I have a 2 bogs. The small one (4'x 3'x 1' deep) built up on legs like a
deep table. It is covered by a frame and plexiglass with sliding doors
for the winter. In this bog I grow all the non sarrs. Things that are
delicate. It can be temperature controlled in winter. But back to my
story. Last year I decided to start Nepenthes.
When I realized that the glassed in walls, especially the back was
wasted space. I built 2 box planters (4' x 8" x 4") long and thin.
I filled these will orchid mix, dry chilian sphagnum and live sphagnum
for the upper half. Into this I planted about 12 nepenthes, 1
Heliamphora nutans, and 2 COBRA LILYs. I obtained them from Lee's
botanical and both were nicely developed 4" tall. One had several small
pitchers instaed of just large ones. To make a long story short, the big
one never took at all. The small one slowly took off. It's bigger
pitchers died back, but the plant has formed a dense thriving colony of
plants about 3" tall so far. I knew that the evaporation in the sphagnum
would cause a natural cooling. The planters get a couple hours of direct
light and the rest of the day the sun filters through a 25% shade cloth.

This year I have a bigger problem. After kidding with my sister-in-law,
She returned from Seattle with a beautiful 15" tall Cobra Lily for
christmas. My first method must now be expanded due to space
considerations. I plan on one of two new methods of even cooling.
1. to move water through underground tubing using the coolness of the
earth as a load to dump heat and evenly moderate the temperature of the
water which is circulated around or through the soil. There are a lot of
mechanical issues here.
2. To obtain a office water cooler mechanism (one needing rebuilt
outsides or something) and alter it some how. I also Hope this can be
operated cost effectively.

Both methods have advantages and disadvantages, BUT BOTH CAN OPERATE
WITH SOME DEGREE OF AUTONOMY. I for one am not able to put ice on things
ect, twice a day.

While other methods work for other people, my job causes me to stay at
work for massive O.T. alot. I do check the bog twice a day, but for
Cobra lilys regularity in temp seems to be the key. An autonomous
systems is the only answer for me.

Right now we have had many nights of 15-20\260F and all of my plants are
doing well outside thanks to many of my auto systems built with off-
the-shelf "stuff" I put together.
Tell me what you think
tom hanley