Re: U.arenaria

From: Fernando Rivadavia (ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp)
Date: Sun Jan 19 1997 - 23:55:55 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 16:55:55 +0900 (JST)
From: Fernando Rivadavia <ss69615@ecc-xs09.hongo.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U.arenaria

Chris,

> Can anyone give me a quick summary of growing media
>used, light, etc. for U.arenaria. Was this known by another
>name before as I could not find it anywhere except on a few
>web-pages. TIA.

        I'd prefer to know a killing media for this species!! I don't know
which strain you have or how many strains there are going around, but my
suggestion to you is: KILL it before it's too late!!! That is, unless you
like to see a Utric take over every single pot you have. Just imagine a
more virulent strain of U.subulata which produces larger leaves as well as
thicker and more numerous scapes, and you'll have an idea of what this
species is like.
        The leaves are about the same as those of U.subulata, only about
2-3X wider and a dark green color. The flowers are white with purplish
marks. In fact, I've found a small variety of U.pubescens in Brazil which
had almost identical flowers. I think Peter Taylor even mentions in his
book that these 2 species are closely related.
        I originally got U.arenaria in 1990 from a Mr.(Mrs.?) Blair
S.Couper from the Natal Province, South Africa (who disappeared and never
wrote back, which was a tremendous pity since he/she was often going on
CP collecting trips in his area and had found some interesting CPs).
He/she collected it at a waterfall and sent it to me with no name (I
later identified it through Taylor's book).
        Though Blair warned me about the pest it would become, but I payed
no attention, thinking a cute species like that would never bother me if
it became a weed. Only I underestimated it and also forgot that the
result of so many cute flowers are endless dried scapes and countless
leaves spreading all over and eliminating smaller Utrics. Around 2 years
after I obtained this species, it was beyond control in my collection,
growing in almost every pot.

Good Killing,

Fernando Rivadavia
Tokyo, Japan