Re: silica sand

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)
Date: Mon Jan 20 1997 - 13:02:14 PST

Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 15:02:14 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: silica sand

Hi,

> Hi Mike,
>
> > I have a few more gen. questions:
> > -when using all-purpose sand containing silica, is it necessary to rinse it?
> > also, where is 100% silica sand available in small bag quantities?
> > I have only seen it at sand and gravel companies ie. by the truckload.
>
> I get my silica sand at the local hardware store in fifty pound bags.
> That's as small as I have seen it.
>
> Paul Burkhardt

        You can get the horticultural sand in small bags. Same stuff, but more
expensive. Totally sterile as far as I could ever tell, never had
any problems using it. Make sure not to get the pre-wetted stuff that
sometimes is sold as horticultural sand. The sand I got before was
white and completely dry.

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology