Tuberous Drosera dormancy

From: Glenn Rankin (rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 1997 - 11:44:12 PST

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:44:12 PST
From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tuberous Drosera dormancy

Until I get each tuber timed correctly and dormancy is more or less
routine from season to season, I dig it up and put it in a cool and
not-so-dry place till it sprouts again.

Sometimes the tuber starts to shrivel during the summer, so I try to
get it a little less dry by putting it in mineral sand and lightly
watering it. I have lost a few this way due to rot. I can't figure
these out. If I don't increase the moisture slightly, they dry out, if
I do, they rot. I wonder if oils or salts from frequent handling may
damage the outer membrane in some way. Others just rot sitting in
a plastic bag inside my house, with no moisture visible.

A more common problem for me is that the plant starts to go dormant,
so I start to let it get slowly drier. But before it is completely
"tuberized", it sends out fresh sprouts. Some proceed to make a new
tuber, but others have just formed a stem by the time it gets too hot
to survive and I lose it.

Glenn Rankin
rankin@hpl.hp.com