Re: U arenaria

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 09:38:07 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:38:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U arenaria

Hi al,

> If you found no adult worms and the small transluscent 'worms' were all
> about 2-3mm long with a blackish gut line visible, then the chances are
> you have an infestation of Fungus Gnats. The adults look like small
> fruit flies that flitter around from pot to pot. They thrive on the
> moist conditions in which many CP's grow. The larvae also spin webbing
> over the soil surface. If the webbing is evident then you have a Fungus
> Gnat problem. The larvae can be very destructive!
> Michael

        I've seen these in the greenhouse before. They certainly
do like to hang around pots of CP's where it's moist. The Drosera
pigged out on them, but they kept reproducing. Any ideas on how
to effectively and safely get rid of these guys? TIA.

Chris

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina