germinating tuberous Drosera

From: Glenn Rankin (rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 12:18:08 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 12:18:08 PST
From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: germinating tuberous Drosera

Hi Russell,

D. auriculata has germinated for me quite readily. I hadn't expected
this, so I only planted half for this wet season. The others I was
going to put on top of the medium to enjoy our hot dry summer to see
if that made a difference.

I haven't had trouble getting some tuberous drosera to germinate:
peltata, macrantha ssp. macrantha, macrantha ssp. planchonii,
heterophylla, menziesii ssp. penicillaris, ramellosa. With others,
I've only had sparing luck so far: stolonifera ssp. porrecta,
stolonifera ssp. stolonifera, stolonifera ssp. humilis, gigantea,
gigantea ssp. geniculata, platypoda. The most difficult seem to be
rosetted species: lowriei, erythrorhiza ssp. erythrorhiza,
erythrorhiza ssp. squamosa, macrophylla ssp. macrophylla, macrophylla
ssp. monantha, bulbosa ssp. major, bulbosa ssp. bulbosa, erythrorhiza
ssp. magna. On the other hand, D. whittakeri seeds have yielded well.
For some reason I've had somewhat better luck with seeds from sources
other than Lowrie, but I haven't fully sorted that out yet. Each test
or experiment takes more than a year to complete.

With the difficult drosera above I gave a cool smoke treatment to the
seeds (and the medium they were on), but it didn't help any. They were
subject to an hour of very dense smoke from smoldering eucaplyptus
leaves. There were enough nutrients deposited from the treatment that
a layer of algae grew on gravel pieces and wetted parts of the pots.
No such algae appeared in or on the control pots. I did get flowering
from one of the stolonifera ssp. porrecta I treated. (On the other
hand, my experience confirms that it does make a big difference with
B. gigantea.)

Regards,

Glenn Rankin
rankin@hpl.hp.com