Zombie VFT flower stalk...

From: Gary (garko@sfsu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 22 1997 - 16:24:14 PST

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:24:14 -0800 (PST)
From: Gary <garko@sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Zombie VFT flower stalk...

Hi Everyone--

A couple of weeks ago, I snipped the flower stalk of my errant VFT and on
a whim decided to see what would happen when I buried the cut end under
some strands of sphagnum. I laid the six inch stem across the surface of
the pot and weighted the flowering tip down with another strand of
sphagnum. I left the pot out where its been since early fall, exposed to
the elements (wind, rain, San Francisco fog, direct sun, temps dipping
down into the upper 30's). To my surprise, the flowering tip perked up and
is now bending upward and the buds have noticably swelled and are taking
on the characteristic whitish hue of buds about to flower. When I
originally did this I had my fingers crossed for forcing apoxymis.
Instead, it seems as though the stalk will flower. Has anyone else come
across this?

Gary

p.s.: My four other VFTs are STILL producing new leaves. As the elder
daughter in _Poltergeist_ screamed: "WHAT'S HAPPENING!?"