Re: Re: D.uniflora cultivation tips

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 18:08:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 23 Jan 97 21:08 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: D.uniflora cultivation tips

Hi List,

   I recently received a single (and so far, living) P.antartica.
A friend had several but fungus gnat larvae ate a large portion of
them, so he could only give me a pot with one left. It's on
it's third true leaf from seed and I'm hoping not to kill it!

> In vitro, the likewise extreme S-American _P. antarctica_ grows all
> year through with "resting" periods (slower growth and higher
> mortality) of about 3 months, a behaviour similar to that of the
> arctic _P. villosa_ in vitro (which forms hibernaculae in a similar
> rhythm).

   Thanks for this bit on their care. Can anyone elaborate some?
I haven't heard anything else besides the above so any info might
help. I take it they don't like heat... What temps are ok, what do
they grow on, should I put it in the fridge for summer, ect???

Thanks,
Dave Evans