Andy Harbottle/Toby/Andy Hurrell

From: Alastair Robinson (100611.1627@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Sat Jan 25 1997 - 10:06:38 PST

Date: 25 Jan 97 13:06:38 EST
From: Alastair Robinson <100611.1627@CompuServe.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Andy Harbottle/Toby/Andy Hurrell

I have been away for two weeks so have been unable to read any mail up till now
and hope to answer one or two queries if I am not too late...

With regards to Cephalotus (Albany Pitcher Plant), Eco Verdi sell these as
advertised in a newletter recently - for twelve pounds, I received two mature
plants which are thriving much to my joy as this species is really sweet
<cooooo!>

Alfred Nimmo, Eco-Verdi Carnivorous Plants,
10A Meadowview Road, Meadowhead,
Sheffield, S8 7TP.

Tel:(01742) 740324. Reductions for BCPS members.

I have heard that Catopsis berteroniana will seed easily as will many bromeliads
- whilst I know little about pollinating them, I know two means of germinating
seed for Bromeliads depending on what type they are. Those attatched to a
pappus (Feathery anythings that will let the seeds 'fly') can be sown, novelly,
on densely bundled sprigs of conifer such as Juniper or Thuja, misted with a
fine spray (causing adhesion and providing water) and hung up in a warm, moist,
humid and relatively shady position. Terrestrial species can be germinated in
a 1:2 sand:sphagnum mix kept moist and heated at about 25 deg. C or warmer.

To Andy Hurrell, I forgot to note your e-mail address before deleting the
CPdigest and so am replying here. I live in Kuala Lumpur, W.Malaysia, but would
be happy to give any help that I can - Stan knows me from Kew the meeting at Kew
- I was lucky enough to be able to visit G.Kinabalu, though not much else, in
1995 and can provide an account of it. If you are unable to get hold of me, you
might be able to get a copy from Phil Wilson <forgive me Phil> if he is feeling
generous!

Saya harap dia gambira malawat tempat indah,
                                        Alastair.