Re: Posting Seed

From: Heather Frederick (flytrap@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Sun Jan 26 1997 - 14:32:24 PST

Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:32:24 +1300 (NZDT)
From: Heather Frederick <flytrap@ihug.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Posting Seed

>I read a few years ago that some one had microscopically examined orchid
seed >that had been sent through the mail in the standard envelope fashion.
They >reported apalling dammage from the rollers that the envelopes get
forced >through. Most of the seed was crushed.

I can testify to that. Last year I sent some Roridula seed to a friend
through the mail and it arrived looking like crushed pepper. Now when I
send seed, I use a piece of thick card that just fits in the envelope with
holes cut for the seed packets and the packets are taped firmly in place.
It works for me.

Heather in Auckland, New Zealand