Photographing Plants

From: egilding@lava.net
Date: Sun Jan 26 1997 - 09:56:00 PST

Date: Sun, 26 Jan 97 17:56 WET
From: egilding@lava.net
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Photographing Plants

I know this may seem out of place here but.....

I have a few questions regarding photographing plants in habitat
(_Nepenthes_ etc).

1. What is the best film for doing such work, I have used Fuji SuperG Plus
200 in the past but it was too slow for some of the shade/forest floor
shots(well ok, just about all). When I got the pictures back I found most
of the green deep emerald green that I would have liked to have captured was
bluish and the bright reds became flourescent gaudy colors. I am looking at
getting Kodak 400 Gold this time around to take better low light pictures
and hopefully capture the colors correctly. Any input/experience?

2. When take shots of the canopy it is difficult to capture very much detail
due to the sky backlighting and an overall lack of contrast(looks like green
mess) Will a ASA 400 film reduce this? Will flash help?

3. Any recommendations in terms of filters to get better habitat photos?

Thank you,
Edward Gilding
egilding@lava.net