Re: Carnivorous fungi

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Fri Feb 07 1997 - 18:37:20 PST

Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:37:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Carnivorous fungi

Theodore DeWitt wrote:

> At least some of the fungi include mushrooms (such as
> the edible Oyster mushroom...), but I imagine many species
> don't have much ornamental value (but that's just my opinion).

This thought occurred to me while reading your posting, even
before I got to the above sentence.

I grow CP (mainly Neps) because I think they are beautiful.
I doubt that those which snare nematodes are beautiful to
look at.

There are those among us that grow things for reasons
other than their physical appearance; I'm not one of them :-)

There are some fungi that have stunningly beautiful fruits,
and I wonder how hard they are to come by and how difficult
they are to grow.

Some edibal and medicinal ones are available from Fungi
Perfecti on the West Coast (sorry, a friend borrowed the
catalog so I don't have the address to post right now).

> So, for those of you who may have mastered & collected all of the
> flowering CP's, perhaps the world of carnivorous fungi will be your
> next challenge! ;-)

It'll be a while before I've "mastered" Nepenthes cultivation
outside of a greenhouse. Sorry I'll miss "fungus fanatacism" :-)

Regards,

Perry Malouf