Drosera cistiflora

From: Zachary Kaufman (zkaufman@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 11 1997 - 20:15:08 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:15:08 -0800 (PST)
From: "Zachary Kaufman" <zkaufman@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera cistiflora

Hi Jay.
There is a picture of Drosera cistiflora on page 218 of Adrian
Slack's first book, CARNIVOROUS PLANTS.
According to Slack's second book, D. cistiflora produces
cup-shaped flowers up to 3 inches (7.5 cm) and are the
largest flowers in the entire genus. The plant's stem,
Slack claims can reach 1 foot (30 cm).
You should be aware that this plant goes dormant in the summer.
You may wish to ask Eric when the seeds need to be sown. If
its too late in the growing season, your seedlings may not
have enough time left to build up their energy reserves to
survive through dormancy with.
I have heard that D. cistiflora seeds must be watered repeatedly
from the top to wash away a chemical that inhibits germination.
I have no first-hand experience with germinating D. cistiflora
seeds. This is just something I was told.
Lastly, Slack maintains that D. cistiflora's growing medium should
be kept moist during its dormancy--just something I thought you
should be aware of.
--Zachary--