Re: pollinating D. dielsiana?

From: burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 09:48:32 PST

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:48:32 -0600 (CST)
From: burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: pollinating D. dielsiana?

Jan replied:

> Dear Paul,
>
> > Just a quick question. I have a D. dielsiana which is flowering and I was
> > wondering anyone knew if this particular species was self-pollinating or
> > not. If not, can they be "selfed". Thanks in advance.
>
> The plants I have studied (in some detail because especially this
> species is a problem systematically - a possible transition between
> sects. _Oosperma_ and _Drosera_) were self fertile and autogamous
> (self- pollinating).

Thanks for the information. This is good news, since I have not been able
to be at home while the plant is flowering, and it seems only to flower
sometime in the late morning until sometime in the afternoon or early
evening, afterwhich they perish. I've never grown this plant before so it
is new experience for me. Something that I find amazing is the length of
the inflorescence which is now approximately 30 cm. Very pretty light
pink flowers, or so I've been told.

Paul Burkhardt