Re: Drosera planting/water

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Feb 13 1997 - 13:38:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 13 Feb 97 16:38 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera planting/water

Hi List,

I have just purchased some Drosera seeds, and was wondering when to plant
them. I have a book that tells me to plant non tuberous species in early
spring, but doesn't say when to plant tuberous ones. The one tuberous type
that I have is erythrorhiza. I also have some D.indica seeds, but my book
doesn't mention this species - is it tuberous?

D.indica is an annual so be sure to collect the seed at the end
of the season, or save the pots near by into which the seed fell.
Oh, make sure the soil is nice and wet *before* lighting a fire
over it for the D.erthrorhiza. Do the seed have to be in the
pot for the fire or can they be sown after blowing off the ash?
I have a couple pots of this and related species that have been
sitting around for a while now, but no seedlings yet. I think
I'll have to try the smoke treatment too. So I'm wondering if
heat can be too much for the seed...

Re: Snow

Snow will have no salts in it, unless you collect it from the
side of a road, but it is fairly dirty stuff. Of course, the
same pollutants are raining/snowing down on CPs the world over
in the wild... When I was melting snow a couple years ago, it
would get a scum layer at the top, so just remove the scum before using.

Dave Evans