Re: Algae on spaghnum

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 1997 - 18:37:31 PST

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:37:31 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Algae on spaghnum

Clarke Brunt wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> On 11 Feb 97 at 2:00, Russell Elliott wrote:
>
> > I have just noticed algae growing on the surface of some of
> > my pots with sarracenia seed just starting to germinate. The
> > medium is chopped dead spaghnum, and I was wondering if it would
> > be safe to spray with Mancozeb (a fungicide) at this early stage.
> > It states on the packet thatt it kills algae.
> >
> > I hope it doesn't do the same to just germinating sarras!
> > ! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director, !
> > ! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society. !

Clarke,

> Sounds from the latter that you might be an experienced seed-raiser?

Not as experienced as I would like :-)

> Personally, I doubt that algae, moss, and other 'green slime' which
> eventually establish in all my CP pots, is any harm to Sarracenia
> seedlings. I'd be a bit worried about a product which killed algae -
> sounds a bit close to being a plant.

 I thought the same way and decided against it! I have had this algal
slime smother and kill seedlings before, but this time it appears to
be a less virulent strain!

> --
> Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
> http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.

Bye for now,

Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !
! Australian Carnivorous Plant Society.                         !
! Sorry, due to limited stocks, seed only available to members. !
! mailto:relliott@geocities.com                                 !
! Please Direct membership enquiries to Brian Denton at:        !
! mailto:bdenton@camtech.net.au                                 !