Re: Water quality/Well water..;.

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 07:22:41 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:22:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Water quality/Well water..;.

Mike wrote:

> I know that many people have had questions regarding the use of well water
> on their plants.. Me too!!
> I did a basic water quality test and the results were: 7gpg for hardness (I
> think this means moderately hard), high alkalinity (240), pH of 7.2-7.6
> and get this.. 0 total chlorine and 0 free chlorine.

I don't understand how the water would be rated as "high alkalinity"
when the pH is 7.2-7.6 (slightly higher than neutral).

The zero chlorine is expected in well water. Chlorine is added
to water by municipal water facilities to kill pathogens.

> Would this water be suitable for use on Cp's?

Hard water usually means the presence of dissolved salts. This
sort of water may not be good for continuous use on Cps. Once
in a while wouldn't hurt, but your best bet is to invest in
a reverse osmosis water purifier. Outside of that, you'll have
to purchase distilled water (expensive) or replace your potting
media frequently because of salt build-up.

> Should there be chlorine in the water?

Well water usually doesn't contain a large population of pathogens.
If it does, then it's not a very good well :-) Chlorine should
be added if you suspect that the well water is contaminated with
pathogens.

Regards,

Perry Malouf