Repotting sarracenia,s

From: James Tovee (106361.2125@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Feb 19 1997 - 11:11:25 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:11:25 -0500
From: James Tovee <106361.2125@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Repotting sarracenia,s

        I was interested in the discussion of when to repot saracena's. It
was suggested to repot them now just before they start to grow. Mine are
late this year in starting to growing. They did start fresh growth late in
the autumn, with the darlingtonia flower buds showing.
         I am having a little trouble with botrytis on some of them. I do
try to keep the air moving If any of them( including the healthy ones)
were repotted, I would expect further problems because of the shock and
root damage involved in the repotting.
        The relative humidity is 80% @ 40C reducing to 20% when the
temperature rises to 65 C. The increase in temperature is usually only to
50 C. It was interesting to see that the different relative humidity was
detectable with an ordinary piece of A4 paper. The paper was quite damp at
the higher humidity and dry at the low humidity. This was easilly detected
by by feeling it. The humidity figure was read from a meter.
        I have wondered if woodlice(slaters) would help in removing the
botrytis. Their mouth parts are too small to eat much or any healthy plant
material. they may be better equiped in other countries, but here they
feed on rotted plant material.

        Jim Tovee