Re: Re: Drosophyllum bud

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Feb 21 1997 - 13:40:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 21 Feb 97 16:40 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Drosophyllum bud

> > dare I attempt to cover the leggy stem part in the hopes of forming
> > new roots and getting a more natural, compact plant?
>
> Try it, it can't hurt, can it? But unfortunately Drosophyllum isn't
> known as being able to easily forming new roots.

Hi List,

    Perhaps this would be a great opportunity to try airlayering,
well perhaps sandlayering would be a better word. Just nick the
stem where you'd like to see some roots grow. Let the wound dry.
Apply a very tiny amount of rooting hormone to the wound. Add
more sand to the pot, and water when the plant(s) shows it could use
some. If you water it right away, I would imagine fungus would
have a field day eating the plant though the wound. That's the
best protocol I can think of, anyone else have an idea?

Dave Evans