Re: Feeding Sarrs

From: davin@biopcs.gen.nz
Date: Wed Feb 26 1997 - 10:48:31 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 07:48:31 +1300 (NZDT)
From: "davin@biopcs.gen.nz" <biopcs@central.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Feeding Sarrs

> I've heard that you can "feed" Sarracenias by pouring ordinary flower
> nutrition into the pitchers. Is this true, and if so, which "dose" of
> fertilizer should I use compared to "ordinary" flowers and which part of
> the year could this be applied? Could Nephentes be fed the same way? Are
> there any positive effects, in terms of growth, by doing so?

I would hope they didn't mean fertilizer as they definitely don't
appreciate it, at least not in my experience. However one idea which a
friend introduced me to (Thanks Eric) is to feed them pollen. You can
purchase it at your local health shop and it is pure protein and not a
fertilizer. I've found quite good results with the Helies so far

Davin