Re: Aphids and ICPS subs

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 1997 - 10:32:52 PST

Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 10:32:52 -0800
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Aphids and ICPS subs

At 04:16 PM 3/3/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi to All,
>
>I have recently had a bit of an aphid problem (especially on the
>sundews). I used a product known as Bug Gun in the UK. It is a solution
>of Pyrethrins in a hand held sprayer. The plants looked OK but the
>tentacles all turned in and lost their mucilage. The _D. filiformis_
>varieties were hit hardest, any coiled leaf tips went brown and the
>plants generally had a fried look to them. The _D. binata_ forms and _D.
>aliciae_ seem to have recovered a bit as do the _D. rotundifolia_. The
>pigmies seem to have died. Pings seem relatively unaffected as does my
>only decent _Nepenthes_. Has any one else tried a spray containing
>pyrethrins? and what do other people use against aphids ? (chemical names
>rather than brand names would be helpful if outside the UK).
Hi Steve,

I have found that sprays containing pyrethrins are very hard if not fatal to
Drosera's. My VFT's and Nep's don't seem to mind pyrethrin. I keep my
plants in aquariums and I find that a flee collar a piece of a "No Pest
Strip" next to the plants keep the bugs at bay. If you grow in a greenhouse
these probably wouldn't be very effective.

Good Growing,
John in Phoenix