Re: Vermiculite in peat.

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 01:53:01 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:53:01 -0500 (EST)
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Vermiculite in peat.

Dave

> Almost any CP soil can be made into Pinguicula soil with the
>simple addition of vermiculite. Nepenthes mix + verm. = Mexican Ping
>soil. Hardy Drosera mix + verm = soil good for many hardy Pings.

I'd be careful with this. The vermiculite is good because it increases
drainage while the peat retains water, so you end up with that most
preposterous of objects, a well draining moisture retentive soil! However,
vermiculite is I believe alkaline and I'm not convinced that all Pings
appreciate alkalinity. Perlite is I believe neutral and can be mixed with
peat in the same way as vermiculite. I'm trying to get enough duplicates of
each plant to be able to test out the difference that these soils actually
make but it will be a while before I can start.

(Health warning - for new CPers, if using vermiculite or Perlite wear a face
mask or wet the product before scooping it. These products are dangerous and
cause lung problems if breathed in in sufficient quantity. Not as bad as
asbestos but the same sort of problems. Once mixed with peat or sand or most
anthing else, there is little or no danger unless the mix is allowed to
completely dry out to powder - not wise if you're growing something in it!!!)

>Has anyone noticed if peat moss mixed with vermiculite, it turns
>a darker shade toward black?

This would make sense. Alkaline peat is blacker than acid peat so adding
alkaline vermiculite (I still think it's alkaline) to acid moss peat might
logically be expected to cause it to blacken, though why is a complete
mystery (this is a job for Superchemist).

Regards

Paul