Re: D.Linearis, D.Anglica

From: Carl Mazur (cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 21:36:41 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:36:41 -0800
From: "Carl Mazur" <cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.Linearis, D.Anglica

> Carl,
>
> Noting that you live in an area that is surrounded by D.Anglica and
> D.linearis, have you had success raising these two species?

Define "surrounded by" in this particular part of Ontario, there is little
or no habitat for cp in the area. The geology just isn't right. The are
about 3 locations within an hour for D. rotundifolia, and S. purpurea. All
relic bogs from the last ice age. The closest site for D. linearis is
about 5 hours north. As far as D. anglica goes, I've never seen it, nor
have I seen any records for it in Southern Ontario. I'm sure it occurs
north of here, however, I wouldn't know where to start.

> wondered if there was a difference in appearance between the north
American
> D.Anglica and the U.K. D.Anglica?

Couldn't say .. Sorry.

The D.Anglica in Donald Schnell's book,
> C.P. of The US and Canada looks more spread out whereas D.Anglica in
Roger
> Phillips, Wild Flowers of Britain looks more upright. I think they are
two
> different species!

That may be environmental. I've seen rotundifolia almost 5 inches across,
and some as small as 1 inch across. Just very different habitat thats all.

Donald Schnell pokes holes in the theory that D.Anglica
> world wide is D.linearis x D.rotundifloia because of the lack of
D.linearis
> in other parts of the world. It seems that D.A.xD.R. is sterile.

If you want to try some d linearis, let me know. We do sell seed of that
species. Check our WEB page at the URL below for more info.

Best Regards,

Carl J.Mazur
Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants
Grimsby, ON Canada