Re: Re: Re: Re: Video

From: John Walker (jorwa@syspac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 1997 - 15:53:24 PST

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 16:53:24 -0700
From: John Walker <jorwa@syspac.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: Video

As my original posting re: "Death Trap" started this thread I thought I
would add a couple of thoughts. In general my thoughts have followed along
the lines of Dave Evans. After all, what is a VCR good for other than to
copy TV broadcast's and play purchased or rented movies. I will also add
that when I copied the video "Death Trap" it was not my intention to cheat
anyone out of any monies due them. I did it because I could not find the
original for sale and it seemed like a quick solution (see more at the end
of this post). At the time I admit that I didn't give it much thought.

>>This is why you get the little bit of waffle in the
>> video recorder manual about taping things is illegal - it covers the
>> VCR manufacturer's arse. Even time jumping (taping a program to be
>> viewed a few hours later then overwritten) is not legal - you would
>> not, in all probability, get charged for doing this but you could in
>> theory.
>
>So then why can VCR's do just this? They are made specifically
>to do just that... That is the main/only reason to get a VCR, or
>was until till video rental stores became so popular. Infact, there
>now signals being sent from the TV stations so you just type in
>a number or letter (each show gets it's own #) to facilitate the
>copying of shows. When the VCR "hears" the number, it starts
>taping until the signal ends with the end of the show.

I have to agree with Dave on this one (althought that doesn't mean he's
right). I called a local TV company here in town and talked to their Public
Relations staff. They laughed and said of course we want you to record and
watch the programs our station broadcasts. This guy was not a lawyer though
and his comments were taken with that in mind. He did mention that they
would not be in favor of (future?) VCR's that are capable of skipping over
and not recording the commercial ad's.

>Over here, we have tapes made just for copying CD's. It says so
>right on the the front of the package. Again, this is like the VCR
>bit. I feel I'm still missing something here. I know there is a
>clause which allows PC owers to dub software incase of mishap.
>Perhaps this same law is used to loophole the taping of CD's and
>TV shows?

After talking to several poeple I think perhaps the following holds true, at
least in the US: As long as you buy (and thereby pay the royalty fee) the
original CD, book, software or whatever, it is OK to copy it as long as you
don't sell the copies for a profit or charge people to view/listen to the
media. Copies can be used for backup, or to change the format, i.e., CD to
cassette tape.

A quick qestion for Paul Temple (hi Paul :) as he is in a good position to
offer an opinion. If one of your books is out of print and impossible to
find, what are your feelings about someone photo coping it? I'm assuming in
advance that you probalbly are not thrilled by the idea (understandable),
but how is someone supposed to get one of your good works? :) The same
question applies to out of "print" music, etc. I'm not saying it is the
right thing to do, but perhaps you can see how a frustrated person might
resort to this type of activity in the above case. I can asure you that I
am more sensitive to this issue as a result of this thread.

Just my 2 cents...and now back to CP!
John in Phoenix