Re: CP 1018

From: john e. cavanaugh (jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 14 1997 - 11:16:44 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 14:16:44 -0500 (EST)
From: jcavanau@indyunix.iupui.edu (john e. cavanaugh)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP 1018

>>>"Tough to enforce," why I don't think the people who wrote said law
>>>even follow(ed) it.
>>
>>The problem is that if you try and make an exception clause then it is
>>a loop hole that can be exploited. I am sure that you like being paid
>>for what you do - the same applies to others, this is the whole reason
>>for the copyright laws to make sure that the correct people benefit.

        Just a note: all this pertains only to copyrighted material! Those
of us who publish research in an academic setting do not get paid for the
writings - we actually have to pay the journal to print it (legally, it's
considered a paid advertizement). In many ways it's like revese royalties -
reprints cost us money, so any photocopying reduces the cost of
disseminating our work. So scientific references may be photocopied if not
copyrighted. In fact, we strongly encourage it!
        - Dr. John "Weird Baby" Cavanaugh, MD, MS, Fellow of Forensic Pathology.
              Indiana University Medical Center, Division of Forensic Pathology.

Also-
        I wrote of an experiment about 2 months ago conserning growth
conditions of sphagnum. The results are interesting. The conditions which
worked best were High light/high humidity/Good drainage: ie - raised above
the level of the watertable by about 6-9inches, watered daily but allowed
to drain completely between waterings. I did some readings and found that
there are over 40 species of sphagnum - some prefer to be watelogged, some
do not.