Tuberous Drosera... Help!?

From: Rick Hyde (rah@netcom.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 1997 - 09:22:17 PST

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 09:22:17 -0800
From: Rick Hyde <rah@netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tuberous Drosera... Help!?

Hi, Folks;

My very first tuberous D. arrived from Alan Lowrie a few weeks ago(!). I've
left the tubors in the bags they came in and every few days I check to see
how they are doing. Well, now they are "doing" and I could use some advice.
I have a fair collection of other CP in a greenhouse, but I know tuberous D.
require special handling...

The ones that are showing activity are the D. macrantha and the package of
"Lucky Dip" (10 unlabled tubers). Each one is evidencing a single long (2
cm.) shoot that is quite thin. I would guess that this is a stem. It LOOKS
like a stem, but it might well be a root. Root or stem is the first
question. I don't want to plant them upside down :-)

Next: I wasn't expecting to see any activity until late Summer or early
Fall (which I know it is in Australia). I presume my tubers are jet lagged
and confused. I am guessing that I should plant them now and try to extend
their growing season through my summer and into their next normal dormancy
(I am in California)?

Potting media: I am going to use 2/3 sand and 1/3 milled peat in a 6" pot.
I'll plant the tubors a few inches down. Unlike my other CP, I won't stand
the pots in an inch or so of wather, but I will keep them constantly moist.

I also have a single D. gigantea tuber that is not yet showing activity
along with a couple of D. marchantii. When they begin to come out of
dormancy, I will treat them in same way. I sure wish the book search folks
would find one of the growing guides I'm looking for. It's nerve wracking
taking on a new species :-)

Any other hints on growing tuberous Drosera?

Thanks in advance to the help!

BTW: I rented the "Death Trap" video from a local shop a few months ago. I
think it is well worth renting, but I'm not sure that it is worth buying.
There is also a "Death Trap" video disk which may or may not have the same
content. I'm trying to track down a copy now and will report back on what I
find.

Datapoint: The local nurseries in the San Francisco Bay area do not seem to
have their flytraps in stock yet.

D. multifida extrema: I have one of these growing in a hanging pot.
Recently a few new shoots have appeared in different sections of the pot.
The new shoots have one stem each so far. This new stem looks more like a
binata since it forks only once. Do extrema get more "points" as they grow
older, or are these new shoots likely to be volunteer dichotoma or binata?

Thanks!

Rick