Re: New member!

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 18:13:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 21 Mar 97 21:13 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New member!

Hi Paul,

   I really liked your intro, BTW.

> The worst was when a squirrel decided that my most
> successful batch of VFTs looked too tasty to pass up (I moved them
> outside for the warmer seasons.) and very quickly uprooted and ripped it
> all to shreds. Hasn't anyone gotten a hybrid big enough to take care of
> squirrels, yet?

    Not quite (I'm still working on that one ;), that's why I
have to place chicken wire around anything larger than an adult
Sarracenia.

> it has two flourescent bulbs, a timer, a soil temperature control,
> a soil water ratio probe, eight sliding panels, and a six inch
> deep tub for planting. I can't remember the dimensions right
> off, but I think its on the order of 36"W x 24"H x 28"D (I won't
> get the unit for a couple of weeks yet). Should be plenty of
> room for a good selection of CPs, eh? Anyone else use a Klima-Gro?

    No, I haven't and after seeing one, realized that alot of CP's
the unit doesn't have enough lighting. So then I (we really,
Tom Hayes and I) decided to make growing chambers to the plant's
needs, and after a couple years of trial and error, have got some
good ideas into reality. (Tom does, anyway.)
   But since then we've also come across a lot more CP's that don't
need as much light like Utricularia, some Nepenthes and some Drosera,
as well as others here and there. Also, you can add on more lighting
and it should be fairly easy. Or place the unit infront of a window
which gets morning sun, or all day if it won't heat up the unit too
much.

> I'm interested in hearing suggestions on what I should plant; my list
> includes 3 VFTs, 3 D. Capensis, 1 D. Spathulata (SP?), 1 D. Intermedia,
> a couple of Pings (not really sure which variety works best), 1 S.
> Purpurea, 1 S. Psittacina, 1 S. Minor, 1 S. Rubra, and maybe a
> Heliamphora. I was thiking of adding a Darlingtonia, but everything
> I've read ( a lot of catching up ) seems to indicate that the Cobras
> don't like temps warmer then 70 degrees.

    I would not bother planting any adult upright/trumpet pitcher
Sarracenia indoors, period. They just need too much light but
the shorter S.purp. and S.psitt. can handle weaker lighting and
still grow well. All other plants sound like they could do good.

> I've also got D. Adelae on my alternatives list, although this
> drosera evidently can become gigantic...

And the problem is? ;) Seriously, that would be one the the best
choices for a terrarium using low (for CP) light. That and D.pro-
lifera and D.schizandra and P.primulflora (sp?) like shade. There
are others, but I can't think of them right this second.

Good luck,
Dave Evans