Re: Dried Sarracenia arrangement

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 24 1997 - 07:25:08 PST

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 10:25:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dried Sarracenia arrangement

> >While we were touring the builder's model, I spotted an arrangement of dried
> >Sarracenias in the kitchen! Upon closer inspection, it turned out to contain
> >AT LEAST 30 dried pitchers!!
>
> S. leucophylla -While wild-harvesting of these
> pitchers for the cut-flower industry may not in every
> case (or even in many cases) be illegal, it certainly
> can be destructive. The Environmental Defense Fund
> distributes a leaflet on the practice, arguing that
> farm-raised S. leucophylla hybrids would be an excellent
> alternative, and potentially an economic boon
> to the depressed areas of the U.S. where these
> plants are found. It is possible that these pitchers
> were farm-raised,but I have yet to hear of that happening
> on any scale yet. Any updates from anyone?

It would be illegal to remove the plants from someone else's property without
their consent, just as any other theft is illegal. Otherwise it is not
illegal. There is at least one farm in Mississippi which provides cut pitchers
to the cut-flower industry. FWIW, I also saw ads last year for S.lueco
Christmas wreaths. Arrangements have even popped up in the local grocery
stores. As a general rule they are on the upper price end.

Tom in Fl.