Re: Re: D anglica/Pea Gravel

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Tue Mar 25 1997 - 17:21:00 PST

Date:    Tue, 25 Mar 97 20:21 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: D anglica/Pea Gravel

> Should the seeds be spread on the growing medium in the fall and allowed
> to expirience winter that way till spring?

That will work just fine. So will wetting the seed and doing the
stratification in the fridge.

> Do you use sphagnum or peat? I read one hypothesis that D.Anglica might
> like stlightly alkaline soil.

That would be D.linearis which can grow in such conditions as can
D.rotundifolia. Both of them are supposed to be the "parents"
of this species. Besides for D.linearis though, these species
occur most often in normal acidic bogs. I would not worry about
raising the pH unless you are growing Pinguicula and even a number
of them can grow fine in peat/sand in soil which is slightly acidic.

Dave Evans