Acid water

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 14:13:38 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:13:38 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Acid water

Hi all,

        To add my two cents worth, I don't think acid rain is all
that great for anything, even CP's which love acidic conditions. The main
reason being that what makes this rain acidified is a lot different
than what makes the natural water acidified. As we all know, the
peat moss which natural water seeps over lowers the pH by adding
natural fulvic and humic acids (tannins). This is fine for the
plants, because this is what they have evolved to live in.

        Acid rain is made that way from chemical pollutant emissions
into the atmosphere. The main culprits, in the past at least, have
been factories located around the great lakes area. Anyways, these
pollutants are man-made, and definitely not natural. From what I
remember, some of the pollutants can be carcinogenic or mutagenic,
not really healthy for anything!

        As for acidifying with vinegar, vinegar is a weak solution
of acetic acid, so it probably won't do too much harm. Personally,
I prefer a dilutte solution of Miracid. It not only produces
the acidic conditions, but adds a bit of fertilizer as well. However,
what works best for one person's plants may kill another person's
plants!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology