Fish flakes, Heliamphora and acid rain.

From: Tan Chee Kien (cheekien@pacific.net.sg)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 15:13:22 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 07:13:22 +0800
From: Tan Chee Kien <cheekien@pacific.net.sg>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fish flakes, Heliamphora and acid rain.

        Hi, everyone ! I'd like to post a couple of questions - first, what
brand of fish flakes are suitable for CPs ? And just the day before I
noticed an unusual (or usual ???) phenomenon on my Heliamphora nutans x
heterodoxa. When I got it the plant had only 2 juvenile pitchers. The next
one that come up was a juvenile, but ever since I started to give it a
little Sarracenia pollen 2 mature pitchers came up - really beautiful, and
it is quite an achievement for someone in the tropics (24-33C)
        Then the trouble came. I moved the entire pot to downstais (I used
to keep my CPs on my balcony) and the next pitcher that came was a juvenile
!! Is this normal for Heliamphora hybrids ? And have anyone tried to feed
fish flakes to Heliamphora ?

        Now about the acid rain issue - I really don't encourage you to use
poluted rain water (acid rain) if you have another source of good water. As
far as I understand, acid rain contains all the industrial chemicals like
*sulfuric acid *, Carbon monoxide, Lead Oxides and Nitrogen Oxides. I guess
your plants won't like to have lead poisoning, would they ?
Just my suggestions - happy CP planting, everyone !