Re: Re: Acid Rain (And Re: Fluorescent lights)

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 17:59:00 PST

Date:    Fri, 28 Mar 97 20:59 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Acid Rain (And Re: Fluorescent lights)

> From: Matthew Baggott <mbagg@ITSA.UCSF.EDU>
>
> The most recent issue of Organic Gardening magazine mentioned
> that, after a few months of use, the lights become much less
> bright. It never occurred to me to replace lights before they
> burn out (it seems expensive and environmentally wasteful), but
> I am concerned that the n. ventricosa and s. purpurea in my tank
> aren't getting enough light. Therefore, I am considered replacing
> the (still working) light bulbs. Is this foolish?

It depends - are your plants getting enough light? Some bulbs
are supposed to last for up to two year without dimming much, but
I have not seen them in stores lately. I wouldn't worry much
unless the plants start showing signs they'd like more light
when they start losing their red highlights, even then you could
just add another hour onto their daylight period... This will
help to compansate and make the bulbs last longer. Also, moving
the lights closer, even only two inches, can help too.

Dave Evans