Re: racism

From: -Tom- (tkhayes@pennet.net)
Date: Sun Mar 30 1997 - 12:16:57 PST

Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 20:16:57 GMT
From: -Tom- <tkhayes@pennet.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: racism

Herb,

>so i suppose if someone overheard your wife, daughter, or loved oned
>referring to themselves as a "clumsy bitch" when they, say, spilled coffee
>on the floor, i therefore would have the right to walk up to her and call
>her a "clumsy bitch" myself (or generalize about all women as "silly
>bitches" on a public newsgroup) and not (rightly) expect you and her to be
>offended?

Aren't we being a little too literal? I didn't even make the comment but I
know exactly what was meant and the "n" word (as you call it) has MANY more
contexts today, than in the past.

 First of all, the comment was NOT intended for a public newsgroup, and
while that still doesn't make it "right" in your eyes, this is going WAY too
far.... The comment was made in what was assumed to be a private
transmission which got misdirected to a newsgroup via a REPLY key. It was
not a malicious hate message meant to create such a stir.

People who spend so much energy dwelling on such problems are the ones
fostering such prejudices. I judge people by what they do and not what
color they are. Continue teaching the children such an attitude and this
problem will be no more.

Take care & keep on growing,

-Tom-