"Sarracenia flower" questions

From: Eric Kamakea (ekamakea@haywire.csuhayward.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 03 1997 - 12:48:21 PST

Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 12:48:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Eric Kamakea <ekamakea@haywire.csuhayward.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: "Sarracenia flower" questions

Can anybody offer advice on Sarracenia flowers?

All I wanted to do was to synchronize the flowering of my Sarracenia so
that I could make some hybrids.

I read (I believe in Adrian Slack's book) that Sarracenia flowering can be
regulated by inducing spring conditions earlier for late bloomers and
inducing them later for early bloomers. So this year i tried to give it a
go so that I could try some hybridizing of my own.

Giant Flava came up quickly- even in cool shady conditions! I moved my
potential cross breeders into warm brighter conditions. Leucophylla took
off like a bullet so I moved it back to cooler shady conditions when it
flower was showing signs of slowed vertical growth. Rubra Gulfensis Giant
is slowly (did I say slowly?) raising up 2 flowers. Mitchelliana is poking
along also.

Forgive my rambling.

Any way, some of the flowers on various plants seem to be readying
themselves to bloom when their flower stalks are only a couple of inches
high- meaning that the flower bulbs are still erect and have not even
bowed over yet. Namely the Giant Flava, the first to sprout, has
essentially stopped vertical growth over the last few days and is starting
to slowly open- yet the flower stalk is still rather short and vertical-
i.e. without any bend in it.

Has any body done anything similar to this before? Will all the pollen
fall out of the flower, and NOT be caught in the pistil if the flower
actually does open up in the erect vertical position?

I am open to advice/suggestions, words of consolation, sympathy, and since
it is April already; tax deductible contributions. (hee hee hee hee)

All I wanted to do was to synchronize the flowering so that I could make
some hybrids.

Good growing to all, Eric kamakea