Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

From: Walter Knapp (wwknapp@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 1997 - 12:47:11 PST

Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 20:47:11 +0000
From: Walter Knapp <wwknapp@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

>I do not own a pressure cooker for which I need to sterilize media for
>tissue culture. I was wondering if I could use my microwave oven to
>sterilize the media? If I can, how long?

Microwave won't do it. You can only heat something to boiling in it. You
will ruin the media before it is safely sterilized at boiling temps. You
need a moist temperature above the boiling point. The only way to get
that is a pressure vessel. Pressure Cooker is the simplist if it has a
good guage to show the pressure. You want 15 lbs for 15 minutes.

You might check around and see if some doctor's office or lab with an
autoclave will do it for you.

Walt
wwknapp@mindspring.com