Re: Viruses and CP List

From: Paul Burkhardt (burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 09:52:25 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:52:25 -0500 (CDT)
From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Viruses and CP List

Dear G.J.B. and List,

It is possible to get viruses from email which have binary attachments.
Downloading these attachments to your harddrive and executing the
attachments can indeed activate a virus, as evidenced by the MS word macro
viruses. However, you cannot get a virus from reading a file, especially
if it is ascii.

I understand that some may feel that viruses are greatly overexaggerated
but those people must realize that they are fortunate not to ever have had
a virus. I suggest nonbelievers of the virus scare to act on the
conviction of their words and execute viruses such as the 'Trojan Horse'
and 'PKZIP300.EXE' on their computer systems to see whether the damage is
exaggerated or not.

My last comment is to congratulate everyone for providing an eclectic and
diversified foundation of knowledge on this list, professional or not.

Paul Burkhardt