Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

From: Brett Lymn (blymn@awadi.com.au)
Date: Sun Apr 13 1997 - 00:19:42 PDT

Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 16:49:42 +0930 (CST)
From: blymn@awadi.com.au (Brett Lymn)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: TC, Microwaves and Pings

According to SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de:

>How do you want to do that with liquid water at normal pressure
>(which can by definition only be heated to 100 degC: any hotter thing
>is vapour)? OK if solvents are in the water the boiling point rises
>but I have never seen TC media boiling at something even remotely
>similar to 120 degC at normal pressure, and 120 degC is what the
>spores need. So if your procedure works for you that is fine but in
>this case you have not yet experienced the really tricky fungi
>(interested in some spores for a test?).

I am not sure is this is true or not but perhaps the microwaves are
managing to kill off the nasties by some mechanism other than
elevating the temperature above what they can stand. I would imagine
that microwaves can be pretty disruptive to the internals of a cell
since the energy can be delivered to the water inside the cell.

Just a theory....

--
  "Upgrading your memory gives you MORE RAM!" - ad in MacWAREHOUSE catalogue.