Re: Men & CPs

From: Matthew Baggott (mbagg@itsa.ucsf.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 09:10:00 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:10:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Matthew Baggott <mbagg@itsa.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Men & CPs

"doug bosco" <dark@popmail.mcs.net> wrote:

>Quite simple. Men are by nature (thanks to evolution) hunters. It
>isn't surprising that we would be interested in plants which hunt. It
>should be no surprise that Carnivorous Plants are a male preserve.

C'mon! Do you really think that stationary plants can be called hunters
and thus compared to males? They attract bugs with scents and colors and
then engulf them. That doesn't sound too "male" to me.

In one of her (excellent) books, Sara Stein writes about how we like to
talk about plants as if they had male and female sex like humans, while
the truth is that their sexuality and reproductive schemes are quite
unlike ours. If we see plants as being "masculine" or "feminine" its
mostly a product of our minds.

----

Question:

I recently repotted some D. capensis because they seemed to be inexplicably dying back. I had purchased them from California Carnivores a little over a year and a half ago. They were 6 or so medium plants in a largish pot. When I unpotted them, I noted that much of the potting medium had broken down to a gooey black 'mud.' Aha, I thought, this must be the problem. However, to avoid disurbing the roots too much, I left much of the old growing medium on the plants and mostly replaced the lower part of the pot (with shredded sphagnum, vermiculite, and a little sand). Now, I'm thinking this was a mistake and I should have rinsed off the roots and given them totally fresh growing mix since they may be rotting. Should I redo my repotting?

Matthew Baggott, mbagg@itsa.ucsf.edu Research Associate, Drug Dependence Research Center University of California, San Francisco