Re: Advice for a preschool show of cp

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 07:41:47 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:41:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Advice for a preschool show of cp

> Hi I need some pointers on showing CP you see my son's
> preschool has asked me to do a "Show and tell" on CP. I plan
> on taking VFTs a D.capenesis D.intermedia and a S.purpurea.
> The game plan is put some fishfood on the D.capenesis put it
> aside show the VFTs feed it a bug let them put fingers and
> or tooth picks to set off the traps explain how that works.
> Then show the S.purpurea and explain how it works then go
> back to the capenesis and show them how it has slowly moved.
> If anyone has ANY experience with school shows and has any
> pointers for me on my very first show please let my know.
> The kids will all be age 5 or 4
> Thanks Steve Lanham

I have done this with older kids in classes several times, typically for 6th
graders. I usually begin with a little simple information such as the idea
behind passive, semi-active, and active traps and explain how they go about
attracting prey. After 10 minutes or so I go on to show them plants and let
them trip the VFTs and touch the sundews (D. filiformis is good because it has
so much dew). I also cut open a tall Sarr. tube and surprise- show them all
the dead bugs that have been eaten. They are usually a little slow to touch
the plants at first, but after one brave soul does it, everybody wants to.

Tom in Fl.