ants

From: Gordon C. Snelling (mrmacophyl@southwest.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 1997 - 18:18:02 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 18:18:02 -0700
From: "Gordon C. Snelling" <mrmacophyl@southwest.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ants

a couple of reasons the ants are "killing the fly trap leaves
1. they may just plain be too much for them to handle . it is not unusual
for a trap leave to die after being fed an excessively large meal,
2 they may indeed be somewhat toxic, a great many ants contain large
amounts of formic acid as a defense against predators . without knowing
what type of ants are being used it is hard to say, if this is the cause or
not, but "large ants" leads me to me to suspect something like carpenter
ants genus Camponotus.
these are have a very high acid content, and it is often strong enough to
cause mild skin burns.
I have fed small ants to my flytraps on past occasions with no ill effect.
Gordon C. Snelling

----------
> [...]
>
> Topics covered in this issue include:
>
> 1) Re: Cindy's bog with Byblis
> by dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
> 2) Re: D. linearis, D. prolifera cultivation
> by dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
> 3) Re: VFTs and slugs
> by Ron Lane <rl7329@sprynet.com>
> 4) "French connection"
> by zunino@cri.univ-poitiers.fr
> 5) Advice for a preschool show of cp
> by Steven_I._Lanham@mailhost.bridge.com (Steven I. Lanham)
> 6) Re: VFT Food!
> by "Carl Strohmenger (HSC)" <cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu>
> 7) Subscribe to list
> by Brian Cooley <cooley@golden.adams.net>
> 8) ants
> by cheng <chinying@cyberway.com.sg>
> 9) local
> by cheng <chinying@cyberway.com.sg>
> 10) my venus flytrap dying too
> by cheng <chinying@cyberway.com.sg>
> 11) RE: Soil PH
> by "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
> 12) Re: Advice for a preschool show of cp
> by "Kathleen M. Heldreth - Biologist" <HELDRETH@ESALP1.EMAIL.DUPONT.COM>
> 13) Skeletal Revision of Nepenthes
> by "Madeleine Groves" <M.Groves@lion.rbgkew.org.uk>
> 14) Re: Advice for a preschool show of cp
> by Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
> 15) Re: D. capensis
> by Chris Marsden <Byway@compuserve.com>
> 16) CP Advice
> by "Divis, Bob" <E16911@lttsvr4.ltec.com>
> 17) Re: ants
> by Lumraptor <lumraptr@indy.net>
> 18) VFT Food
> by Rene Caldera <Rene@compuserve.com>

> Topic No. 1
>
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 19:43 EDT
> From: dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Re: Cindy's bog with Byblis
>
> > From: "Sarver.Cindy V3I" <sarver.cindy@SSDGWY.MDC.COM>
> >
> > Could you elaborate? I've never grown Byblis, although I've wanted
to try
> > some (I think they're gorgeous). If I make the mound as you're
described,
> > should I try putting in a wick of some type to keep it moist? And a
proposed
> > ratio for sand:peat? How do I keep the mound from flattening? Sounds
like a
> > neat addition, to me... I'm also thinking of sinking a small undrained
tub for
> > some aquatic Utrics (which seem to outgrow whatever container I put
them in
> > inside).
>
> Hi Cindy,
>
> I don't think I can really elaborate about the Byblis, since
> I don't have much experience growing it, but perhaps someone (Tom H?)
> could help with how much water it likes... If they like fairly wet,
> then you could just use three or more patio blocks to shore up a
> 1:1 <maybe 1:2> (peat:sand) mix. Set it so that it holds the
> soil inside at at least four or five inches higher.
> __________________
> // | \\ <= Higher ground (this is how I grow
the
> | \272 egde of the bog , so it slopes
toward
> \\ // you.
> \\__________________//
>

> If they like it drier, I would just plant them in pots or whatever
> else they might like...
>
> The Utrics might be done by sinking 5 gallon buckets into the
> bog, but you could grow them in these out of bog too (just don't
> let them fry in the summer heat and sun.) They would be more
> protected in the bog, but you would need change the water either
> way. If you did put the buckets in the bog, you might want to
> put a hole in the bottom of the bucket so when it rains, the
> water filters out through the hole and you don't have to change
> the water (just poor water into it).
>

> Dave Evans
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Topic No. 2
>
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 20:59 EDT
> From: dave evans <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Re: D. linearis, D. prolifera cultivation
>
> > Have any growers had much success with D. linearis in an acid medium?
If not,
> > how do you alkalinize (?) the media. Any other germination/cultural
> > information ... growth cycle, temperatures, light, etc. would be much
> > appreciated.
>
> I would add some vermicullite to the soil, just to knock the acidity
> back some. They should do fine like that.
>
> > With the D. prolifera, it seems I have two choices ... grow it as D.
adelae
> > (pure, long-fiber sphagnum) or as D. schizandra (90/10
perlite/sphagnum). Any
> > suggestions?
>
> All three can be grown together in the same conditions. Keep them wet,
> avoid lots of heat and use dimmer (for CP's, anyway) light.
>
> Dave Evans
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Topic No. 3
>
> Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 20:55:18 -0400
> From: Ron Lane <rl7329@sprynet.com>
> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
> Subject: Re: VFTs and slugs
>
> I also have had mediocre success with feeding slugs to vft's - some just
> slime their way out. This past summer, I had an abundance of wasps and
> yellow jackets (small jobs) so I started feeding them to the vft's.
Several
> chewed holes in the traps before succumbing and one managed to get out
> through his chewed hole. They don't give up w/o a fight.
> Ron
>
> At 09:43 AM 4/14/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >I have also tried to feed slugs to my VFTs. However, I have to be very
> >careful as they can often crawl right out of the trap, perhaps thanks to
> >their slimey nature! I have also tried feeding moth catepillars to a
VFT
> [...]

> > _Why_ would anyone want to do this with capensis? It does so well
> >on its own.
>
> Well these lab types aren't doing it for their own collection... so they
> are trying to flog millions of them to home depots over the USA. And D.
> capensis does look very nice to unwary members of the public...
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Toby Marsden
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Topic No. 16
>
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 97 15:47:00 DST
> From: "Divis, Bob" <E16911@lttsvr4.ltec.com>
> To: CPLIST <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: CP Advice
>

> Hi,
> My name is Bob Divis and I've been following this list for about a
year
> now. Although I've communicated with some members of this list , this is
> the first time I've posted a general message. I am a Telecommunications
> Engineer for the local phone company and I live in Wahoo, Nebraska
> ( Yes, the home office of the David Letterman Show). I was first
introduced
> to carnivorous plants several years ago when I lived in Chicago. I tried
> raise VFT's , a Sundew , a Ping and a Darlingtonia, all growing in a ten
> gallon aquarium in Sphagnum Moss and Perlite over Aquarium Gravel
> and Charcoal. I used Grow-Lux lights on a timer for my light source. I
> watered with tap water (Lake Michigan treated water) left standing for 24
> hours and although my VFT's never turned red inside of the traps all the
> plants seemed to do OK; that is for the growing season anyway. I never
> knew about dormancy and I wound up killing my poor CP's by keeping
> them too moist and causing root rot.
> That was it for me until I found this list and thanks to all of you
> have
> now been successful in raising some VFT's ( I've even harvested seed
> from my plants and have baby VFT's growing) and also two Sarracenia
> Flava's (Hoping for fertile seed from one of them this year). I have all
my
> cp's in a South facing grow window in pots sitting in trays of water
> (distilled) and
> they have been extremely happy ! I use a 50/50 mix of siica sand and
peat.
> I visited my local Earl May ( franchised garden center) and bought,
> according to the plant labels, a Nepenthes Madagascariensis,
> a Purple Pitcher and a Sundew for $4.50 apiece. The labels had
> "Little Shop of Horrors" written on them as well as "this plant was
> propogated from tissue culture". I think the Sundew is D. Capensis.
> I'm going to need help at my attempt in raising these newcomers
> to my cp collection. I removed all of the plants from their small domed
> pots and replanted the Purple Pitcher and Sundew in a 50/50 sand,
> peat moss mix just like my existing VFT's and Flavas. I have them in
> pots sitting in a water tray with full Southern exposure . will this be
OK?