colchicine

From: IMSOROPE@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 11:27:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 14:27:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: IMSOROPE@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: colchicine

Hello all.

First, a ten second response to the gentleman who mentioned grinding up D.
capensis and encorporating it into the media, I just learned about this in my
Plant cell and tissue culture class...It's called homogenization, and was
originally done with staghorn ferns. It would definately NOT work with
Nepenthes or Sarrs because there are no axillary or dormant buds on the
leaves. As far as why the would do it...All plants reproduced are genetically
identical. Start with a great plant, end up with a great plant. Furthermore,
as I understand it, anyway, it's faster than seed, division, etc. In theory,
1,000,000 plants per year could be produced from one explant.
Now to the real reason I wrote. Being an orchid lover first, (sorry:) I have
known for colchicine for some time, the chemical used to double chromosome
counts in plants.
Has anyone used this on cp's? Imagine what D. regia, or S. X Judith Hindle,
or N. rajah might look like if they were 4N. Is Spring great or what?

Neal Grant
imsorope@aol.com