Re: Re. VFT Traps Dying, and ????

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 18:23:20 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:23:20 -0700
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re. VFT Traps Dying, and ????

CMcdon0923@aol.com wrote:

> 2. My 'Home Depot brand' D. adalae, which appears VERY healthy, just started
> sending up two flower/seed scapes. Should I let them go, or cut them off? I
> ask because I do not want the main plant to suffer from their being allowed
> to continue. I lost a beautiful little Ping immediately after it flowered,
> and don't want the same to happen to this plant. However, if the plant can
> tolerate it, I wouldn't mind the flowers and/or seeds.
>
> Thanks for any help anyone may be able to offer.
>
> Craig McDonald

Craig,

 Just leave the flowers on. This plant is hardy given the right
conditions.
Mine flowered all of last season (I would guess about 25 scapes per
plant
over the entire period!), and they are still fine. The flowers aren't
all that
attractive and I have found they don't often produce seed.

        -Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !